If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Monday, February 13, 2012

Looking forward to these books


Phyla of Joy by Karen An-hwei Lee

"There’s an undeniable audacity in a poet using the word “joy” in our beleaguered world. In her new book, Karen An-hwei Lee combines scientific precision and an appetite for far-flung vocabularies with a fascination for the sources of rapturous emotion."

&

American Copia: An Immigrant Epic by Javier O. Huerta

"Today I’m going to the grocery store,” begins this creative fusion of poetry, fiction and non-fiction. This is also the sentence Javier O. Huerta was given to write during his naturalization interview. Having lived in the U.S. for twenty years already, he was put off by the simplicity of the sentence. “I wanted to tell the INS agent that I could do things with the English language that she could never imagine,” he writes in the preface."

No comments: