If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Monday, November 23, 2009

acknowledgement bits

once again: congrats to luke for winning the caption contest. you all can't see me, but i'm almost smiling.
*
last night i spent time working on my acknowledgement page. why? because some contests require you to send in an acknowledgement página along with your ms. the nerve!
*
i've been lucky. so many people and institutions have supported my work. it boggles my mind. i've been given many gifts.
*
my acknowledgement page is going to be long. how long? levi johnston long! okay, bad pun.
*
the easy past was thanking the institutions. Yada yada yaddo. But coming up with individual names was stressing me out. i didn't want to forget anyone, which is crazy considering the ms hasn't been picked up yet, and i have like months and months to revise the acknowledgment page.
*
but i found a solution!
*
this is how i came up with the names for my acknowledgement page. i gave myself two minutes, and with out really "thinking" about it, i wrote down the names of the people i feel indebted to, people who have opened doors for me, people who have pushed me through doors.
*
skyscrapers are scraping together your voice...
*
there's the obvious names on the list. teachers. poetry buddies. editors. etc. but there's also the names of a few people who did what i'm sure they consider "small" things for me, but those acts of kindness meant a lot to me. geez, i'm tearing up a little.
*
and yes, some bloggers made the cut. some bloggers have been tremendously kind to me and my work.
*
oh, my gosh. this amazing hunk just walked by me. give me a few minutes, folks! i need to catch my breath.
*
some of you have asked: eduardo, have you sent out your ms this fall? alas, my friends, i have not. but i'm getting closer to letting it go.
*
how about i make a deal with you?
*
when my ms gets picked up, i will probably have to wait a few days or weeks to tell all of you. but how about this: when you see my acknowledgement page published on my blog that will be your sign that my ms has been picked up.
*
look, ma! i can't keep a secret.
*
you know what else boggles my mind? the anthologies that have reprinted my work. a lot of these anthologies are taught or will get taught at the college level. i might not have a book, but there some college kids out there being assigned my work. that's so freaking cool and odd, no?
*
i'm not bragging. you all know i'm a big ball of self-doubt and hesitation.
*
and because keith wants to know: i have a poem in this anthology that comes out in 2010.
*
big ball! i called myself a big ball. truer words have never been typed.
*
spring book contests, here i come!
*
this is the poem that annie finch was kind enough to include in the anthology. i think it's one my best poems. it's the second poem in the ms.
*
i'm in love with all of you tonight.
*

4 comments:

Biombo said...

looks like someone took a happy pill!! Pass one over!

Suzanne said...

I love this post, and that's one of my favorite poems of yours! Congrats! xo

Ron said...

Isn't it nice how some of our poems get second lives this way? Brave little swimmers. I salute them (and you).

Anne said...

Okay, but the real question is: did the amazing hunk make it to the acknowledgements page? You know, for being inspirational and all? ;)

Word verification: dontiven (don't EVEN...)