If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Sunday, October 18, 2009

sunday bits

*
i can't stop watching criminal minds reruns on a&e. i have a crush on all the male actors on the show. all of them!
*
kelli needs help picking an author photo. i voted for photo #2
*
shara lessley writes:
Mentors and well-intentioned folks have advised me time and again to only submit to prizes 1, 2, 3, 4, and (maybe) 5. And for two years now, I've done this with mixed results -- finalist, runner-up, semi-finalist, generic rejection. While I'm grateful for coming close, I'm reminded that some of the most interesting and engaging manuscripts I've read floated in la-la land for an average of 7 or so years before getting picked up for publication by both high profile ("big") prizes, as well as smaller presses. Does this change the poems' or poet's value? Absolutely not...

my silly and unrealistic fixation on big prizes has also been stoked by the advice given by mentors/ teachers. most of them have advised me to aim for the big contests. i'm rethinking that advice. reactions to my post, stern emails from poetry buddies, and a jolt of common sense have all contributed to this shift in my thinking. i'm still going to aim for the big contests, but i'm also going to look into non-contest options for my collection.
*
coming soon to this blog: a mini-interview with john olivares espinoza
*
Rejected, rejected, rejected. And thank goodness.
*
thank you, shara.

No comments: