If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I can't wait for this book!


“This is one tough, smart poet. The poems of Paul Martínez Pompa are gritty and visceral, but never cross the line into sensationalism. They are poems that vividly evoke the urban world, especially Chicago, without ever lapsing into urban cliché. They are poems that seek justice for the Latino community without ever resorting to the overheated language that all too often consigns poetry of social conscience to oblivion.” --
Martín Espada, 2008 Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize judge

1 comment:

javier said...

that Espada comment bothered me the first time I read it.

Why can't Pompa's poetry (which I admire) just be praised on its own without it being opposed to some general unidentified lesser poetry.

I am currently at work on a piece subtitled, "Poem of Social Conscience Written in an Overheated Language that Will Undoubtedly Consign It to Oblivion."

Congratulations, Paul. Can't wait to get my hands on the book.