If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year Bits

2009? Already?
*
Feeling better. The kids always get me sick when I get back to Arizona.
*
A big THANK YOU to the Arizona Commission on the Arts for a modest but vital professional development grant. The grant will cover my airfare and my taxi fare to and from the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts. Thanks, Arizona!
*
I finished a poem on December 31. And I love it. Love it. Feels good to love my poems again.
*
I don't know why but I've been stressing about "connections" to contest judges these past few months. Why? Because I'm submitting my collection to contests. Duh. Anyway, I was going overboard with my self-imposed diligence. I cut out one contest because I chatted with a judge briefly at an AWP party. And I cut out another contest because I had a poem published in a journal guest-edited by a judge. (She was kind enough to send a personal acceptance note. That was cool because I adore her work.) But these aren't "foetry-like" connections. I haven't studied or interacted in any meaningful way with these judges. Never been a student or even a casual acquaintance. Don't worry, Dear Reader, I've come to my senses. I've put the two contests back onto my list. Let sanity rule.
*
Currently listening to: Steve Reich.
*
Here's a list of the poets I've studied with or poets that I've had some meaningful interaction with. If any of these poets were judging a contest I wouldn't submit:

Norman Dubie
Alberto Rios
Beckian Fritz Goldberg
James Galvin
Mark Levine
Marvin Bell
Cole Swenson
Robert Vasquez
Rigoberto Gonzalez
Peter Balakian
Shara McCallum

I'm not listing some obvious names. Like anyone on my blogroll. And a lot of poets from my generation.

11 comments:

Suzanne said...

Congrats on the grant! Happy New Year xo

Diane K. Martin said...

Great news on the grant! Points on my Discover Card will at least halve my fare. But I'm sweating the 18 days w/o pay from work and the bills piling up in my absence.

And I know what you mean about being over-rigorous about contest entries. I mean, does it count when someone read your (meaning my) manuscript 15 years ago?

Francisco Aragón said...

Hi Eduardo:

It's great to know that Arizona is supporting its literary artists. Congratulations!

F

Oliver de la Paz said...

Congrats on the grant!

Anonymous said...

is this the best it's going to get for you?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your accolade. No money is too big or too small!

J O E

Anonymous said...

Cole Swensen.

Radish King said...

Monies for poetries is always good monies. Congrats!

Keith said...

What Steve Reich stuff?

Music for 18 Musicians may be my single favorite piece of music of all time.

Eduardo C. Corral said...

i'm listening to Music for 18, Keith. One of my favorite pieces.

diane, i wouldn't personally submit to a judge who read my mss in the past. though i'm guessing the mss has changed greatly. but i still wouldn't submit.

happy new year to all of you!

Keith said...

Awesome. I'm glad to know other poets are so into it also. I'm pretty sure I could have it in my ears all day and not miss a beat.

I love how there are so many recordings too. I got a live on recently that's a bit faster than some of the studio recordings, and I like it a lot.

We should start a "Poets Influenced by Steve Reich" club. There's actually a poem in my manuscript about Music for 18 Musicians. That was one of my goals when I got to grad school -- to write a weird poem using that entire piece. An odd goal I suppose, but alas.