If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Monday, September 08, 2008

Poem, Video, Message from Ashley Capps

Ashley Capps has a new poem in Boston Review. The poem incorporates text from Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, and Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry by Gail Eisnitz. Ashley, as you can read, is passionate about fighting for the humane treatment of farm animals. She sent me a link to this video which shows examples of inhumane treatment of animals on farms. (Warning: though the video isn't as graphic as others I've seen there are still some disturbing images in it.) Ashley hopes the poem, in conjunction with the video (Boston Review agreed to link to the video on their webpage for her poem) might provoke readers/viewers to think about how their choices affect farm animals, and to consider (those who can) voting yes on Prop. 2 in California in November. I'll let this paragraph from Ashley's email explain prop 2:

"Proposition 2 is a small step and won't begin to address some of the horrors of factory farming and industrial slaughter. (And for folks who don't live in California (but also folks who do) and so can't vote on Prop 2, other options (to I guess state the obvious) would include rethinking food choices or food sources). Prop 2 would simply require that certain animals raised and killed for food (baby calves in veal crates; egg-laying hens in battery cages; and pregnant sows in gestation crates) have room in their cages to stand up and turn around. Most do not--which this brief video shows and explains better and more succinctly than I can here. While I am vegan, some vegan/vegetarians disagree with encouraging people to vote yes on Prop 2, because they say it will only make people feel better about continuing to eat and exploit animals. I've thought about that, and maybe I need to think about it some more. But from what I guess is a utilitarian perspective on this issue, I think it is best to rally together to try and prevent as much cruelty and suffering as possible, and so I want to work with, as well, anyone who chooses to eat meat and animal products, but who believes that animals raised for food should be treated with compassion."

No comments: