If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Sunday, June 29, 2008

from Slope 25

What should the line do? Capture the real, voice the liminal, articulate ghostly perceptions, convey the passage of time. As the essence of verse it should captivate the reader, and through rhythm, syntax, texture, suppleness, elasticity, enjambment, and end stop it can measure feeling and invite our attention. We call this immediacy, and when immediacy combines with passion of the highest order, we call it the inevitable, as in the opening of Keats" “Ode on a Grecian Urn": “Thou still unravished bride of quietness..."

4 comments:

Calder said...

Good stuff in this article, interesting!!

Justin Evans said...

What should the line do?

The line should submit and be my bitch! But alas, It turns out that I am it's bitch 9 out of 10 times these days.

Brian Campbell said...

It's poetry if it doesn't go all the way to the right margin -- how profoundly insightful I am today. No, this article is better.

Have some big news to report on my blog today, about these poems I've been writing over the last few years that just don't want to submit to those line-break niceties.

Best regards,

Brian

Ernesto Priego said...

Nice, thanks for the tip.