If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Sunday, April 20, 2008

The New Capulina!


Juan Manuel Sánchez, who according to Josh Corey writes "lushly beautiful" poems, told me in an email that my new blog photo makes me look like Capulina. Foul. I guess some straight boys can be as mean as Queens.

I like my new author photo. The poster-making people here at Colgate said my old author photo wasn't the right size for the poster they wanted to make for my reading. Right size? Hmm, I forget what was wrong with it. Wrong size! Well, excuse me! Anyways, a student from the communications office came to my office and we took some new pics in the stairwell. But the new photos she sent to the poster people weren't properly formatted or something. So they din't use any of them! But I like them. Granted, it looks like I just woke up in these new pics. Hey, I'm waking to the world. To the beauty. To the terror. I'm waking up to Juan's poems.

And for you Gringos:

Gaspar Henaine Pérez (born January 6, 1927 in Chignahuapan, Puebla, Mexico) is a famous comedian who became known across Latin America, under the artistic name of Capulina. He is also known as "The King of White humor".

Capulina's father was Lebanese. When Capulina was six years old, he and his family moved to Mexico City. In 1944, Capulina began his acting career. He was also a singer as a teenager, singing for Los Excentricos del Ritmo. Later, he formed part of Los Trincas.

Capulina became famous across Latin America alongside his longtime professional partner, Marco Antonio Campos Contreras "Viruta". Together, the two comedians made 26movies.

No comments: