If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Paul Muldoon Bits

Colgate University sponsored a reading by Paul Muldoon this past Thursday and a performance by his band, Rackett, on Friday.
*
I sat in the front row next to Mr. Muldoon. He borrowed my watch to keep track of his reading minutes. Yes, he gave it back.
*
The lapel microphone didn't work, and Mr. Muldoon refused to hold a handheld mic, so he stood in the middle of the stage and made his voice carry.
*
He didn't read any of my favorite poems, but he did provide a lot of great scaffolding: poem context, jokes, explanation of specific poetic devices, etc.
*
The auditorium was packed. Saw several of my students in the audience. Extra credit!
*
Also in the audience: Julie Parker. She was one of my first poetry teachers at ASU.
*
Click here to hear Mr. Muldoon read his own work.
*
After the reading we headed off to a great dinner. What did I order? An amazing greens salad, two glasses of red wine, a surf and turf entree, white chocolate cheesecake and coffee. Thanks, budget code!
*
I sat next to Bruce Smith. He's teaching the advanced poetry workshop this semester. He also had the surf and tuf entree.
*
I didn't attend the concert. I was so tired!

1 comment:

Anne said...

I keep reading this as "Paul Muldoon's bits" but that would be something else entirely, and not something I'm entirely sure I'd want to read.

(He was here not too long ago, though there wasn't any concert. I haven't been a huge fan of his work, but I thought he was a terrific reader, very enjoyable. Made me want to go back and give his work on the page another chance.)