If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Monday, February 04, 2008

AWP Is Dead, Long Live AWP

Where to begin?
*
Uneventful but fun ride to NYC. Jennifer Brice was kind enough to drive me, Peggy Shumaker, Peggy's husband, and Eva Saulitis to the conference. We ate oranges. It didn't rain.
*
Ah, the city! I do love visiting it. I wanted to visit the MoMA but that never worked out. And it was just down the block from the Hilton.
*
My favorite thing about AWP? Catching up with old friends. Juan Manuel Sanchez. Diana M. Delgado. John O. Espinoza. Though I will say I was a little upset when I paid for dinner on Saturday and both Diana and Juan acted like it was a miracle!
*
I gave Diana the scarf. I'm not fierce enough to wear it. She looked fab in it.
*
My second favorite thing about AWP? Meeting people. It was a pleasure to meet Suzanne Frischkorn for the first time. Based on her blog posts, I thought she would be a June Cleaver type. But hell no! She's more June With A Cleaver. She has amazing black hair. She's tough but sweet. And very friendly. I spent hours with her early Friday morning. Remember, Suzanne? It was a blast hanging out with you, James Hall and Jericho Brown. I finally called it quits around 4:30AM but Suzanne could've gone on for hours more. She's that tough.
*
Jericho Brown is a great kisser. I should've said that two years ago. My bad.
*
And Paul Guest! Handsome as gold. And sweet as candy. Though he did keep going on and on about his agent. Hey, he's earned the right to be a bit obnoxious.
*
I'm seriously in love with James Allen Hall. Funny as fuck, sweet as fuck. I want to give birth to his baby. But he's also a bottom. Too bad, James. Maybe artificial insemination? And oh yeah, his book sold out at AWP. I bought two copies.
*
I was sneaked into the bookfair on Thursday and Friday. Take that AWP organizers! In your face! Ha! Double ha!
*
Or was I snuck into the bookfair?
*
Steven D. Schroeder is tall, quiet, and nice. And he likes pancakes. How do I know? I'm not telling.
*
I rode a limo for the first time in my life on Friday night! Javier O. Huerta mistook the TV in the limo for an oven. A very small ovean. An oven that could only roast a canary.
*
I met Gregory Pardlo. Very nice guy.
*
For two nights in a row I ended up drinking at Russian vodka bars. Two nights in a row. Our waiter on the first night was mad hot.
*
The Hilton bar was crazy expensive. Nine bucks for a beer? Nobody's piss should be that expensive.
*
New crush: Michael Dumanis. The photograph doesn't do him justice. But I would do him justice. Ha! I'm funny.
*
Four guys slept in my room. Wow, that's alot of balls. Tennis anyone?
*
When I say four guys slept in my room I mean four guys shared my room.
*
I bought a lot of books! I blew my buget on the first day. I never wait until the last day of the bookfair to buy my goodies. I'm not that savvy.
*
Wayne Miller is cute. So is Rick Barot.
*
Ivy is a sweetheart.
*
I finally met Daniel Nester! I was blushing as I talked to him. I was thinking, He knows that I think he's hot. And he's hot. And very nice. He even offered to give me his wife's AWP badge. As I was walked around the dance party on Friday night he pulled me onto the dance floor. I danced like a mummified cat. Fun!
*
And on the dance floor I bumped into Ali Stine! She has some great news, but I will let her tell you.
*
Sara Tracey has an amazing smile.
*
It was so nice to hear from other poets that they love teaching my poems in their classrooms. Wow, I'm being taught??!! Very scary. Very nice.
*
Ego check: I saw Marvin Bell sitting at a table at the bookfair. I walked up and started talking to him. After a minute I could tell he didn't remember me!
*
Adam Clay has long feet. I'm just saying...
*
I bought Reb's book? Did you?
*
New crush: Roberto Tejada.
*

15 comments:

Suzanne said...

How could I ever forget, darling Eduardo? Your charm and wit were one of the highlights of the conference. Sadly, I think I may have misrepresented myself yet again, I must give credit where credit is due, drinking strong NYC coffee at midnight certainly keeps a girl going long after everyone else fades away.

Hey, I had so much fun with you. Thank you! xoxo

Rich said...

Tejada=Pork Chop Sideburns. Dude if I could grow em, I would.

Sara said...

*blush* Thanks!

Ivy said...

You give good hugs, Eduardo. :-) It was a distinct pleasure meeting you.

javier said...

About the t.v., I was speaking in metaphor. And yes, Ms. Delgado looked fabulous in the bufanda.

Anne said...

I hope you're going to make it to Chicago next year. If I bribe you, will you spread rumors about me? ;)

Simmons B. Buntin said...

I have never seen a single cup of coffee impact anyone as it did Suzanne! Okay, now I'm spreading inappropriate rumors. Ah, that's okay, Suzanne knows I'm in love with her regardless.

I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to catch up with you, Eduardo, but you always had a big smile on your face when I saw you. Most people, me included, just looked kind of wiped out, so that's saying something.

Give me a holler next time you're back down in the desert.

Laurel said...

This all makes me feel like a sad boring housewife. gah! I'm so jealous. And WHAT is Ali's news????

xoL

Justin Evans said...

I am soooooo jealous! All the way from getting to ride to AWP with Peggy S. (I met her at the one and only workshop I have ever been to) to staying up all hours of the night meeting new people.

I am afraid that by the time I get to go to AWP I will have either built it up to be so much more than it really is I will be disappointing OR I will be so so excited I will end up making everyone hate me. Or sadly, both.

Collin said...

Those are some tasty bits. Thanks for sharing so I didn't have to be there myself. :)

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Great meeting you, Eduardo...

Diana Marie Delgado said...

Thanks for the compliments, Javier & E. BTW, I did find my Technicolor bag... & P.S. my mouth is still en fuego from the chili they liberally doused our food with that last night--why was it so hot?

b said...

Appreciated the AWP bits! Hopefully you will appreciate these equally tasty ones:

http://awp2008.blogspot.com

Diana Marie Delgado said...

What happened to all the squab-posts that were here awhile ago? It's why I read your blog--and now you've dissapeared them.

You should really put them back up.

Lee Herrick said...

Hi Eduardo---dropping by here to belatedly say how glad I was to meet you, as brief as it was. Wish I could make the Corral/Luna/Gonzalez reading. Have a good one.