If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Gratitude

Today my poems bought me dinner. French onion soup and a hamburger. Yesterday, they bought me a pint of milk, oranges and corn muffin mix. And my poems have been sheltering me since August.

In other words, I've received my first stipend check.

All week I've smiled like crazy while handing over my debit card to a clerk. On Thursday my poems bought me an umbrella and a Colgate t-shirt.

My poems are taking care of me this year. Each bill, each cup of coffee, each new book will be purchased by money my poems earned.

My poems even sent a check to my mom.

Thank you, O poems of mine.

13 comments:

ka said...

You have the most generous poems.

Anonymous said...

dinero para la jefita, que bonito... Un Vato C/S/R

montgomery maxton said...

i misread corn muffin mix as "coffin mix"

Anonymous said...

Did you get a refund?

poet with a day job said...

So awesome. Keep rockin' it!

Robert Vasquez said...

Eduardo,

How nice to read "My poems bought me...": You illustrate something that many take for granted: Creative works should afford us some compensation just as others work on factory lines or sell clothing to pay their bills.

All the best,

Robert

Laurel said...

Kick ASS!

Leslie said...

Will your poems adopt me? Please? Pretty please?

Molly said...

You and your poems are so lucky. Congrats! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just want to say how important of a post this is in terms of a political sense, and how grateful I am to you, Eduardo, for posting it.

I hear so many establish poets glibly, perfunctorily claim that poems don't make money, and I've always been slighty annoyed by this claim. True: a single poem isn't going to make you a millionaire, but the cummulative effect of publishing does have definite economic potential, and because of that, there's so much at stake in what a lot of people like to (or can afford to see) as minor activity.

Thanks for your cool post and you're always entertaining blog,

Steve Fellner

Diana Marie Delgado said...

Congrats E! Your post made me smile too.

Pamela said...

Congratulations. Please send work!

Booktender said...

Oh sure, your poems sent a check to your mom, but did they send a check to ME?

But seriously, you know how I am about the attitude of gratitude. Very well said