If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Songs I Can't Stop Listening To

Going to a Town by Rufus Wainwright. It's the first single from his forthcoming disc, Release the Stars. Rufus is so handsome. The Jesus imagery is a little heavy-handed in the video.
*
Read My Mind by The Killers. What's up with that toothy green creature? Brandon Flowers, the lead singer, is another hottie.
*
Lifelines by a-ha. This is such a lovely pop song. And it displays what I most love about a-ha: catchy music imbued with sadness.
*
This is Just a Modern Rock Song by Belle and Sebastian. I adore the lyrics of this song.
*
Una Alma en Pena by Lucia Mendez. Calling all Mexican queens! A cheesy but catchy pop song. Lucia Mendez was one of the biggest stars in Mexico in the 80s. This song is from one of her best known telenovelas, El Extrano Retorno de Diana Salazar.
*
Grandpa (Tell Me About the Gold old Days by The Judds. Another sad but beautiful song. What a touching chorus. I'm a softie.
*
Making Love Out of Nothing at All by Air Supply. I can't defend this song. It's cheesy, but I really like it.
*
Life in a Northern Town by The Dream Academy. One of my favorite songs from the 80s. I love the chanting in the chorus.
*
La Fuerza del Destino by Mecano, a pop/ rock group from Spain. The video marks the debut of Penelope Cruz on Spanish television. I like the beat and the vocals. Another 80s tune.
*
Carey by Cyndi Lauper. This is a Joni Mitchell cover. I just melt when I hear this. One of my faorite vocals ever.
*
Tu Carcel by Los Bukis. Simple melody. Terrible video. One of my favorite songs.
*
Grace Kelly by Mika. Catchy as hell.
*
You're All I Have by Snow Patrol. This song is a pastiche of a lot of good rock songs. But it works for me.
*
Losing My Religion by REM. I can't begin to tell you how much this song means to me. It was the song I turned to when my heart was first broken in high school.
*
Electricity and Souvenir by OMD. The British are the best makers of pop music.

4 comments:

anything but poetry said...

I particularly love in "Making Love Out of Nothing At All" when he says: "I can make all the stadiums rock." That is a defining cheese music moment from my childhood. Don't ask me why. I still love it!

Oliver de la Paz said...

I dig Dream Academy and OMD. They pop up from time to time on the old iPod.

No Depeche Mode???

Leslie said...

I listened to the Dream Academy obsessively for awhile. I love that song. Plus the REM song is still pretty high on my playlists.

Ana Bozicevic-Bowling said...

Oh great, thanks Eduardo. I just watched every A-ha video on youtube. (Supposed to be thesis-writing)