If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Bit


Yep, that's me. At MacDowell. I've been thinking a lot about my time there last spring. I think I wasted most of my time there. I wrote two poems, which is a lot for me. And I found connections in my poems that helped me organize my collection. But I think I was too awe-struck to really get down to work.

MacDowell was the first colony I visited. I spent a lot of time in my studio just taking it in. The food. The beautiful landscape. The bathtub in my bedroom. And when I tired of my studio I went for walks. Through the woods. To the nearby town, Peterborough. I really liked walking downhill to Peterborough. I enjoyed browsing through the bookstore, and it was fun navigating the narrow aisles of the grocery store. One time I bumped against the backside of an old lady as she was reaching for a can of peaches. She looked at me and said, Be careful with my peaches.

I don't know what I'm really trying to say here. I realized today how lucky I am to have such opportunities. This summer I will be visiting two writing colonies and in the fall I will be a writer-in-residence at a university. How fucking cool is that? I'm not bragging. I'm humbled by these opportunities. Like Jackson, I want to honor these opportunities by working hard. I'm ready this time. I'm ready to work hard.

7 comments:

Ivy said...

Cheers to that, Eduardo. :-)

32poems said...

This is unrelated to today's post...but you might want to check out this chapbook possibilty for yourself. http://burnsidereview.org/ I saw it and thought of you...I do not know much about their chapbooks. Their magazine publishes good work and looks good though.

brent goodman said...

photo caption: handsome voodoo-eyed triscuit head.

Hugs for your successes!

ps - be careful with my peaches.

Oliver de la Paz said...

:D So much given, so much expected. Not to stress you out, of course.

poet with a day job said...

Congratulations like Whitman proclaimed (about to paraphrase big time) - you are deserving of accepting and reveling in these gifts because what you give (poetry) is greater than any physical thing.

(one day, i will find the poem and get it to you)

poet with a day job said...

phew. That was driving me crazy. it is Walt Whitman's "To Rich Givers"

What you give me I cheerfully accept,
A little sustenance, a hut and garden, a little money, as I
rendezvous with my poems,
A traveler's lodging and breakfast as journey through the States,--
why should I be ashamed to own such gifts? why to advertise for them?
For I myself am not one who bestows nothing upon man and woman,
For I bestow upon any man or woman the entrance to all the gifts of
the universe.

The line breaks are messed, but, doesn't that just rock?

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Eduardo, these opportunities are well-deserved, even if, after all is said and done, you don't think you worked as hard as you should have. You did, and the transition to that time in and of itself, it seems to me, is much the purpose.