If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Monday, February 26, 2007

B-Day Bits

My birthday was yesterday. Don't even ask my age.
*
I have a new pet peeve: poets with books who enter individual poem contests sponsored by lit journals. Take this contest. The poetry winner is Beth Ann Fennelly. Huh? I guess Norton publication is not enough! And Jeffrey Levine is one of the finalists! Why do these poets enter these contests? Do they need the cash? Do they need to build up their CVs? And no, I didn't enter this contest. I just think it would be nice to see new poets win these contests. Granted, most of these contests are won by new poets. But it just ticks me off to see booked poets win lit journal contests. I wonder why? It's really not my business. I need a hobby.
*
Bomb Magazine's Winter 2006 issue highlights Chicana/ Latino artists like Gronk and Cherríe Moraga.
*
Books I've recently bought:

The New Year of Yellow: Matthew Lippman
Echolalia: Deborah Bernhardt
Slow to Burn: Collin Kelly
American Spikenard: Sarah Vap
Against Which: Ross Gay
*
My mom forgot my birthday! She didn't remember until the afternoon.
*

15 comments:

Ivy said...

Happy birthday!

Ginger Heatter said...

Feliz Cumpleaños, Eduardo!

Ali Davis said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a year that is as magical as you are! And I agree with you about the contests. Geez.

Anne said...

Happy happy birthday! I hope the coming year brings you wonderful things.

Sheryl said...

Happy Birthday Eduardo!!!

Forgive your ama.

She probably has a lot going on.

You'd be surprised what age does to the memory, too.

Plus she did remember! It could've been worse.

Diana Marie Delgado said...

Happy B-day!

Emmy said...

Happy birthday, Eduardo!

cornshake said...

you diablo! you didnt tell me! hope it was a good one and that you ate something chocolatey!

Matthew Thorburn said...

Happy Bday, Eduardo!

I've wondered about what the cut-off should be for entering those contests too... I had a similar feeling when I saw that BAF won that one, but I entered it myself and felt okay about it. I think maybe two-bookers and up should stay away...

Anyhow I'd be interested to hear what others think about this.

Enjoy your day!

Diane K. Martin said...

You and George Harrison were both born on February 25. Hope you had a happy one!

I agree about the competitions, but I suppose not too many poets feel they have made it …

Laurel said...

Happy Happy!

And I have to say, I think that we (who nare non-book-poets) have an inflated sense of the career/ego/pedigree boost a book provides. I know several poets with more than one book out who are having trouble placing the next one, or getting a job... I'd imagine that the contests are, for them, a CV boost (in pursuit of such goals) and also just a way to progress when the book is stuck...

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Happy Birthday!

I'm right with you on long-since-established poets entering poem contests.

Manuel said...

Eduardo, you're a Pisces! One more thing we have in common, comadre...

Collin said...

Happy birthday, Eduardo! See you at AWP. As a gift, I'm giving you the other "e" that belongs in my last name. :) I'm also giving that to Peter, so you two can compare. ;-) Thanks for getting the book. Enjoy.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Happy (belated) birthday, Eduardo. Allow me to buy you a beer or other such frosty beverage at AWP, eh?

Contests? Eh, whatever. I haven't won a contest since I was a senior in college. Though, admittedly, I've only entered three since then.