If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Reginald Shepherd's Blog

No American poet has ever been sent to a Gulag because of his or her writing. The closest we have come to such a thing was the blacklisting of some writers (mostly in Hollywood) during the red scares of the 1950s, and even in that period explicitly oppositional material was openly published, distributed, and read. Neglect is hardly the same thing as repression or oppression. No one has the duty or obligation to read anyone or anything, and though there are many writers I think should be read more widely (and even more I think should be read less widely), no one has a "right" to be read. Not even me.

Tip of the hat to C.Dale for the heads up.

No comments: