If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Friday, December 15, 2006

North Country Institute and Retreat for Writers of Color

Sponsored by State University of New York at Plattsburgh and The Center for Black Literature

The North Country Institute and Retreat for Writers of Color invites applications for its Fourth Annual Summer Writers? Institute and Retreat, tobe held July 8-14, 2007, at the Valcour Education and Conference Center on the shores of Lake Champlain.

Residents will work with faculty mentors:

Chris Abani (fiction)
Kimiko Hahn (poetry)
Jimmy Santiago Baca (memoir)

Applicants materials must include: the application form, a cover letter expressing reasons for wanting to participate, two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with their writing, and a sample of writing. A non-refundable application fee of $25, payable to SUNY Plattsburgh, should accompany the application. Applications will be reviewed as received until allspaces have been filled.

Tuition for the North Country Institute and Retreat at Valcour is $1,000 and includes workshops, lodging and meals. Need-based scholarships available.

Send application materials by APRIL 18, 2007 to:

Dr. Jose L. Torres-Padilla
Dept. of English
SUNY Plattsburgh
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

Or email to TorresJL@plattsburgh.edu

For application form and more information check our website:
http://www.plattsburgh.edu/offices/academic/writersofcolor

7 comments:

Tupac_da_dogg said...

Baca is the man!

However...it's time for a revolution in Latino Lit. I'm tired of reading about abuela, Aztlan and affections of the Homeland. Give me a Mexican who raps, a bi-racial love story, or even a kung fu champ who's gay...and man we've flip it all around, yo. Let's see some POCs go toe-to-toe with Frost, Kafka, or Orwell. It's time to move out of Mango Street, inform Joaquin we don't care and tell Ultima to go to Hell.

Tupac da Dogg is in the House, yo!

Anonymous said...

What?! You're not going to Bless Me, anymore?!!!

Ultima

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight..."dog." You are looking for something different? Well, fine. Read all the diversity you want. But that's no reason to stop giving me attention. I love attention, even if I'm tired and old.

Esperanza

Anonymous said...

Esperanza,

Com'on. Aren't you tired of talking about yourself? I know I am.

Joaquin

ps
I'm not Joaquin anymore. I've changed my name to JoJo. Works better in South Central

Anonymous said...

Don't forget me, now. I've been "different" for years but you Chicanos overlook what I've done to help you out.

James Baldwin

Anonymous said...

Yeah yeah yeah. I'll still be invisible to you guys. Whatever.

Ralph Ellison

Anonymous said...

To Discover Who Jimmy Santiago Baca is...go to my blog.