If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Friday, December 01, 2006

Narratives of Chaos


Question Everyone:

I'm looking for texts that narrate chaos. Meaning the subject matter, or the story being told is crazy, but because it relies on tradional storytelling tactics, the reader still follows or believes or is interested or is compelled.

Texts that do this are: In the Heart of the Heart of the Country, Gass,
The Autobiography of Red, and maybe even 100 years of Solitude, Marquez.

Can you help me and give me the names of a few that you think do this? I know of a few more, but didn't list for carpel-tunnell's sake. Poetry or Fiction, I'm looking for either.

Thanks!

P.S. I had an interesting and surprisingly happy dream last night. A handsome doctor was examining my left knee. Pushing the cartilage around (not painfully), but touching the place on your knee where the bone indents, he told me my knee was injured. As was the meat between my toe bones. The funny thing was that I left his office happy & fulfilled. Apparently, I'd been telling others about my knee and foot hurts and no one had taken my injuries seriously--except him.

Any dream definers out there?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man in the Holocene by Max Frisch should fit the bill. Anything by Kafka. Gogol. Don Quixote. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Moby-Dick. Catch-22. Maybe some Pynchon (I say maybe because I don't know how flexible your "traditional storytelling tactics" requirement is, I mean how restrictive).



--Stuart

Diana Marie Delgado said...

Thanks Stuart. Appreciated. Many names you've mentioned are familiar, although I've never read. Lots of eye power will be used this weekend.

Yeah,the restriction was vague, but since it's open to interpretation maybe people will send suggestions on a possibly wider scope.

steve mueske said...

Fanny Howe, One Crossed Out

Anonymous said...

The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro