If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Monday, October 09, 2006

80s Bits

This performance of All Through the Night takes me back. I faintly remember watching it on tv. I always loved the wild colors of her hair. And her clothes were fab. She's a pixie.
*
Somebody had a great time in the 80s: Having Some Coke with You.
*
This I Believe: Erin Bertram.
*
One wall is for funded students and the other wall is for unfunded students. Wow. That would suck.
*
My other 80s music obsession: Songs from the Big Chair. I spent hours listening to this tape. My favorite song on the tape was "The Working Hours." Still is.
*
Poems: Oliver de la Paz
*
Chicano Art Magazine.
*
I've only gotten two reviews so far, they were both very generous. I don't think it's had much influence on my writing. I've always written for an audience, even when that audience was just my best friend Trish and I was reading stuff to her in the laundry mat. Now I know my audience is a little bigger, but I still want to be writing like I'm going read it at the laundry mat and try to make it interesting enough to be heard over the machines.
*
Poem: Laurel K. Dodge.
*
I used to listen to tapes.
*
Justice’s long anticipated Collected Poems (exactly fifty years after Stevens’s) missed narrowly at being a posthumous publication, which in a rebarbative sense seems appropriate for a poet as much addicted to time warps in verse as to broad-beam architectonics. Fond of indulging himself, as one of his own personae describes it, “in rich refusals,” Justice fell into and then anorexically clung to a prosody which others in his generation seemed not to be able to divest themselves of fast enough. His muse (though his devotees would flatly deny this) was even more conservative than Stevens’s.

2 comments:

C. Dale said...

I LOVE Songs from the Big Chair. I actually know the words to every single song on that CD. I wore out the cassette in my walkman in college.

jeannine said...

Good interview questions! The one about bringing Denise Duhamel a Barbie doll!! Hilarious.