If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Books I Just Ordered And a Poem By Luis Omar Salinas

Butterfly Boy: Memories of a Chicano Mariposa by Rigoberto Gonzalez

Blue Colonial by David Roderick

The Sadness of Days: New & Selected Poems by Luis Omar Salinas

Sea Gypsies

The ocean tosses like a Chopin etude.
Her green bathing top flashes
with the sun’s light like a dancing fish,
the surf around her waist – and I think
of a girl from my youth who married
young and died young. I miss her
as much as I miss the sea and
the early autumn seagulls that speak
with the silver tongues of rhetoricians.
I carry the image of her bronze body
with me, her Virgin scapular, her silver-
aqua eyes, along with a Greek hymn
that haunts the sea crags, that haunts
this beating surly mollusk of a heart
as I watch the gypsy fishermen
arrive in their ghetto boats
with princesses dressed in scarlet,
in deep blue with long black hair and
scarves, snakelike necklaces around
their pearl necks, breasts covered
by green silk and gold medallions.
It must be fun to be sad gypsies.
I tremble from their capricious kisses
and tumble on the cool beach, tossing
in the salt foam, crossed by passion
and the perilous waves that whistle
on the rock like a crazy woman.

No comments: