If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Bring Me Apples!

I will be teaching two sections of Chicano literature at South Mountain Community College in South Phoenix. I wasn't planning on teaching but a friend of mine had to drop two of her sections. She asked me to take them. Why not? I know the material. Correction: I love the material. Classes start next week.

I will be using these books:
U.S. Latino Literature Today
Bless Me, Ultima
Song of the Hummingbird
Pity the Drowned Horses
Bent to the Earth

I haven't taught since grad school. Any advice?

8 comments:

Justin Evans said...

No advice you don't already have in your head.

Let your passion show through.

Don't hold back on your paersonal connection to the material---aside from the obvious one.

Fair, but firm. Don't let the kids push you into a corner for the chance to 'be cool.'

barbara jane said...

no teaching advice but i may ask you for some when i start teaching next semester.

also, have you read alejandro murguia's this war called love? it's a personal fave of mine.

good luck. i am sure you will rawk.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Sounds like good news, Eduardo---congrats!

Anonymous said...

armocito. . . estas in town? aqui estoy visitando con mis hermanas en Warner road until Sunday. Oye, I need a favor. En donde se encuentra esa pintura de me novio eterno Julio galan? La de tu post July 2005? ? con esas pinches pajaritos gue? I need a copy of it to hang over my heart by a nail, and another to hang over my bed like a dream mirror, y una mas para la puerta de mi nuevo libro de putas ratas. un beso con poquito lengua: e-mail me: goatfish@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

watch out for those Lesniak types...

Anonymous said...

Mira, guey, you've already picked some good books, and that's a good beginning. Now, let the words/voices from your community resonate. As hard as it may be, let the big issues in the work ripple to the top on their own rather than impose them on young minds.

Xicano in Exhile
c/s

Sheryl said...

Thank you Eduardo.

Emmy said...

Cool. I'm teaching Sheryl's book too.