If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Friday, March 24, 2006

A Spell for Chameleon




Had a horrible nightmare last night. Luckily, I woke right before the real bad stuff was going to happen but couldn't sleep after that. Spent the rest of the morning watching "Wedding Crashers" which shook a few laughs out of me before I finally fell asleep 'round 5 am.

I'll admit it. I was so scared I even called my mom!

&&&

This is random but as a kid did anyone read Piers Anthony's Xanth Series? I was a fiend for those books. The La Puente Library was stocked with them along with Susan Isaac's latest romance novels (of which I read every raunchy book the librarian would check out to a 10 year old me).

Some of the titles: A Spell for Chameleon, The Source of Magic, Castle Roogna, Centaur Aisle, Ogre Ogre, Night Mare, Dragon on a Pedestal. He wrote lots more but I either grew out of them or the writing just got bad. I think it's the first. I do remember there was all kinds of undercover sex stuff going on in the books.


&&&

The weather is bad again in NYC again. Gloomy, lots of pigeons, a chance of rain. I wish it would just perk up.

&&&

And I didn't mean to offend anyone in my previous posting about girl/boy dream styles. I posted without thinking, which, unfortunately is how I do most things. So my question was to any boy/girl/halfway between/somewhere near--basically a question to anyone whose flown in their dreams. So the question again. Do you ever dream about flying?

11 comments:

David said...

I read as a kid one of his books (I think called Juxtaposition) which contained this erotic scene between a human and robot. It gave me my first erection. What a strange and distant memory.

Diana Marie Delgado said...

I'm not sure what age range they were gearing for but I was reading these books at an early age!

Diana Marie Delgado said...

The human & robot erotic scene you mentioned reminds me of the movie, 2046.

David said...

Oh, it just came to me, the book is called Split Infinity. And I was also reading these early on, around 9 or 10. How the hell did I get a hold of them so early? They're clearly adult fantasy. I think I actually still have them tucked on a shelf in my boyhood room (which my parents refuse to refurbish...it's like a shrine to my adolescent self in there).

Stuart Greenhouse said...

Yeah, I read the Xanth books, and pooped out around where you did. I really loved them when I was a kid.

& yeah, he was more open about sex than most sf/f writers--god, did you ever read his "bio of a space tyrant"? Farmer outdid him in that vein, though, not to mention Delaney . . .

Anyway, I haven't read them in a while, but I think I remember them being adult fiction the way "Seventeen" is written for seventeen-year-olds.

Anonymous said...

yeah...I had a thing for different gender roles, but to answer you question again, of course I dream about flying and shit. Especially, if like, I fall asleep listening to oldies.

Amelia Earhart

Steven D. Schroeder said...

No, the writing got worse and worse. I was hooked for a long time too, though.

Ivy said...

I read most of his series, growing up. Yeah, 'Bio of a Space Tyrant' was one of my favourites, but I also read the Xanth series. Even wrote him a fan letter recently...

Stuart Greenhouse said...

Did he write back?

Diana Marie Delgado said...

Good question. Did he write back? I went to a rebel website devoted to him and in his pic he looked wild-eyed.

I don't know why but I feel happy that everyone shared thier Xanth stories. Maybe it's my obsession with who I was as a kid/adolescent (not that I've changed much).

Ivy said...

Well, the strange thing was somebody wrote back quite promptly, acting like he was his assistant, but I had a sneaking suspicion it was him.

So yes, perhaps it was him. But maybe not. ;-)