If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Chicago Bits

*
The Museum of Contemporary Art was a blast.

My favorite piece was "Him" by Maurizio Cattelan. You walk through several empty rooms (which is unexpected) until you reach a room where you find a diminutive figure kneeling on the floor. The figure has its back to you. You walk up to it thinking this is a child, or a young man dressed in his Sunday best. You stand before the figure and this is the face you see.
*
The clouds in Chicago are barge-like.
*
Sisyphus Walking is going to give away a hardcover book of poems on his blog. Check it out.
*
I didn't apply to Bread Loaf this year. Last year I got in but I had to turn down their offer. I wasn't feeling Bread Loaf this year. I hope you get in.
*
I, of course, had a big fat hot dog. Yummy. May I have another?
*
I bought a postcard of Joseph Beuys' "Felt Suit." His work makes me giddy.
*
On Monday I attended the Action Books reading at Columbia College. Lara Glenum is a fantastic reader. Just enough intro to each poem. A strong and interesting reading voice. And poems that just fucking rock. She comes from a family of preachers. Well, that explains a lot. Her book The Hounds of No is one of my recent faves. Buy it!

Johannes Goransson read his translations of Aase Berg's poems. Her work is not my cup of tea but I just sat back and enjoyed the jagged music of Johannes' translations. And like Johannes pointed out, her latter work does come off as lullaby-like.

Arielle Greenberg also read. I didn't like her reading style or her reading presence at all. Her reading voice is weak. And she just stands there. I don't expect poets to do jumping-jacks but use your body to claim the space you're in. Her intros to her poems were too long and filled with too much information. Let the audience figure out some things for themselves! I think she read the longest. Well, it felt like she read the longest. I almost went to sleep. But the people behind me kept me awake with the nasty things they were saying about her work. I turned around once and gave them a dirty look. You don't talk trash about a poet while she/he is reading. That's just rude. Foul! I was very disappointed. She's a fine poet. In fact, I copied her poem "Pastoral" into one of my notebooks.
*
Thanks to J.M. Sanchez for hosting me for four days in Chicago.
*
I will be manning the No Tell Motel table at AWP on Thursday from noon to 2PM. Drop by and say hi. I was promised a seat right next to Tony Robinson. Tony, wear your nicest cologne!
*
Err...Wasn't this post supposed to be about Chicago? I ate a hot dog. Did I already mention that?
*
At the Action Books reading I ran into a lot of my Iowa classmates: Keith D., Bridgett Bates, James Shea, Parker Smathers, and, of course, Joyelle and
Johannes.
*

No comments: