If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Author Bashing

From the BBC News: Naipaul Attack Literary Giants.

This guy says Henry James is "the worst writer in the world." I like his attitude.

I felt the same way the first time I read Turn of the Screw. I found James' writing style to be annoying and stuck in a bog (get to the point all-ready!) But, I read the book again and found the brother-sister team gone wild/ghost situation, hilario. I especially liked when the sex-starved nanny sees a ghost writing a note (to her lover?) at a desk. Then toss in the factor that you never really know who is telling the truth. How's that for a soap opera?

More on James. But stop reading if you don't know the end of James', Daisy Miller.

For the record, I must speak out against the death of the woman who" inspected her flounces and smoothed her ribbons," La Daisy Miller.

It pained me that lil Miller was killed off with a bout of "Roman Malaria" (I made this up) just because she got her flirt on in Europe (she did die, just not specifially from "Roman Malaria"). James' might as well have said she caught the Immorality Bug, an incurable sickness that kills all girls who try to boy-party before marriage.

I must admit, her character could come off as crass & trite at times, but I did enjoy her not-listening to the elderly has-beens, and random pains in the asses that were hounding her in Rome.

Thus this posting is for Daisy. RIP you hot, uncultivated, American-girl thang!

4 comments:

Josh_Hanson said...

Henry James is GOD.

Expect lightning strikes at any time.

Diana Marie Delgado said...

I said I thought he was hilario. Which is a huge (as in big) compliment in my book. I'd be interested in hearing, if, Henry James is God, who is the Devil?

It's obvious he's good. I spent my entire morning ressurecting one of his characters for God or Henry James' sake.

Josh_Hanson said...

You know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

One of the things I love about James is his ability to live within the "hilario" melodrama of your turn of the century novel without irony. He really does immerse himself in it, and explode it, without apology. But there is something dark and devilish about him in the way that, say, Portrait of a Lady is such a demonic version of Pride and Prejudice, etc., etc., etc. (as Yul Brenner would say).

But really, it's those sentences...

Anonymous said...

a. Henry James is God of the sentence, the short story, and the novel. I guess that makes Him triune.

b. I might place a small wager on Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light.