If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Subway Drama

Well as everyone knows I'm assisting Eduardo with his blog management while he's at McDowell (Congrats, by the way).

A few notes about me. Diana Marie Delgado. 5 feet with a 1. Chicana poet who lives & loves NYC.

But one thing I don't love is Subway Drama.

Yesterday, my loyal 1 train was late by 30 minutes. It was gross outside. The rain was frilling around, messing up everything, including my hair. So it takes what feels like 5 hours (NY time) for the train to come. By then, people are milling around the platform like roaches: lots of them & skittish.

So I get on the train, lugging my backpack and sit down, when this random woman taps me on the shoulder (hard) to tell me:

"Excuse me but your backpack (a very cute black Gravis bag) bumped me really hard"

Dude. What part of the subway is crowded don't New Yorkers or Visitors understand? I mean sometimes it's so crowded, the train will lurch and you'll have someone's boob in your mouth (I'm short) or if you're lucky the thigh of some hot guy leaning into you. If I had a cherry popsicle for every time someone crunched my toe or hung their armpit in my face I wouldn't have to wear red lipstick. Not ever.

So I guess this first post of mine is a complaint. If you live in NYC the subway is crowded. Deal with it.

12 comments:

RC said...

Welcome Diana,I'm one of Eduardo's regular visitors.Here in Papalote my nearest neighbor is 8 miles away down a gravel road and when you bump into somebody,well,actually I haven't bumped into anybody in years.

Collin said...

I'm also a regular visitor. I love a good subway story, esp. after spending so much time in London and dealing with the tube. Looking forward to further posts.

Cheers,
Collin

Diana said...

Thanks for your comments!'
Collin. Was in London last summer--loved it.
rc. Where is Papalote?

the machinist said...

I may have had the self-same random woman on the L a couple days ago.

RC said...

Papalote is just south of Skidmore which is south of Beeville which is south of San Antonio which is south of Austin which is the capital of Texas. Sounds like a Gertrude Stein poem.
Bottom line it is a town with a population of 75 when I'm in town.

Danny said...

Diana,
I believe that woman wanted an excuse to speak with you as you're so darn cute. I've been known to guilt trip women into talking to me. Such a wonderful timeless emotion!

Diana said...

Danny, thanx for the compliment!
By the way, I have a similar pic of Franz Kafka's tombstone, minus myself in front of it.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Welcome Diana! We miss Eduardo back in sunny Arizona, where we have no subways and the crowds are mostly thorny and sprawled elegantly on desert scarps.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dee! I love it when you talk prose to me!

Jay

Hey, AZ may not have subways, but they have TIM (Tempe in Motion) and the Metro Bus. I rode that bus for two years back and forth from State. It's always pleasant to ride next to reformed Neo-Nazis!

Ginger Heatter said...

Boston. Green Line. Rush-hour. Exactly!

Diana Marie Delgado said...

Wow, I'm going to Boston this weekend.
Hopefully I won't meet any more bossy bees!

Diana Marie Delgado said...

Jay? Espy, my love, is that you? I miss you. I will write
prose, all day, every day, for years, if this is what it takes for you to tellecommunicate with me. By the way, I'm hanting you by post (considered horse & buggie) in this email & telephone era.