If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Bear Terminology

Where have I been? I've heard of the bear subculture in the gay world but I had no idea they had their own terminology. I'm such a ditzy queen! What's a bear? A hairy, not-so-thin gay man. Still confused? This poet is a bear. And so is this poet. But not this poet. Got it? Good. Some might say I'm a bear. I'm not hairy but I'm not-so-thin. Growl!!

UPDATE: This poet is also a bear.

Bear Terminology

bear - a man with a beard or van Dyke, typically with a hairy chest and body and a stocky or heavyset build; often older (or older looking) and displaying a masculine appearance and mannerisms.

chaser - a term that refers to someone who is not a bear, cub, or otter, but is sexually or romantically attracted to them (this term is often used in various communities to describe an outsider who has sexual attraction to people within that community).

cub - a younger (or younger looking) version of a bear, typically but not always with a smaller frame. The term is sometimes used to imply the passive partner in a relationship.

daddybear - is an older more husky guy sometimes looking for a daddy/son relationship or a Bearcub.

panda bear - an Asian bear.

muscle bear - a muscular bear.

muscle cub - a muscular cub.

otter - a man who is hairy, but is not large or stocky - typically thinner, or with lean muscle.

papa bear - see daddybear.

polar bear - is an older guy with white or grey fur/beard.
pocket bear - shorter bear.

pocket protector - taller bear.

manatee - heavyset, hairless bear (usually derogatory)

sugar bear - a "sugar daddy" bear; a bear who wants the company of a younger or more traditionally attractive male or "chaser" in exchange for favors/gifts

woof! - A greeting sometimes used when a bear spots another bear in public and wants to express physical attraction. He will make a growling noise ("Grrrr!") or say "Woof!"

fluffy - A camp or effeminate bear (also sometimes used as a derogatory name for bears)

6 comments:

Collin said...

Live and learn, baby. :) There's probably a poem in this somewhere.

Anne said...

They have a whole BEAR WEEK in Provincetown. (Not that I've ever been there that week. It was bad enough when I got there during Family Week by accident once and was surrounded by yuppie dykes pushing giant SUV-size strollers.)

I never heard the manatee thing though!

Anonymous said...

What if you have a hairy back and shoulders?

espy

Ron Mohring said...

Eduardo, I am *crushed* that you didn't link to my photo as a representative bear! I even tried to educate you about "woof" months ago!

::crawling back into my cave to lick my, errr, wounds::

Ron Mohring said...

Upstaged again by Brian Teare! Grrrrrrr!

::stomping around::

buff said...

A bear here who is totally surprised about your former lack of exposure to our culture. But glad you are now fully exposed. WOOOF. Appreciate your blog posts and comments. Keep up the great job.