If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Bits

*
Current music: a-ha: Analogue.
*
Current books: Gabrielle Calvocoressi: The Last Time I Saw Amelia Earhart
& Thylias Moss: Small Congregations: New & Selected Poems.
*

I've been alone. In this townhouse. For more than a week. R left for family/vacation time. I'm going to be alone for Xmas. Deck the halls indeed.
*

If you're looking for a residency this year check out the Anderson Center.
*

Last chance: the postmark deadline for the Latino/a Writers issue of the Indiana Review is December 31, 2005.
*

Thanks to all of you who commented on my submitting panic post. I found it amusing that the first four comments came from editors. I understand that our po-biz world is relatively small. Soon or later you're going to run into everybody. But I'm not there yet. Believe it or not. Some people think I'm this great networking poet. Sometimes I get emails asking me for advice on how to network at MFA parties and readings. As if!

But for the foreseeable future I will continue to refrain from submitting to journals edited by fellow bloggers/friends. I just hope the editor of the VQR doesn't start a blog. Don't do it Ted!

My stance doesn't mean I'm frowning at those who submit and publish with fellow bloggers. Far from it! We need good poems. I don't care who writes them or who publishes them. I want them in the world.
*

I committed an act of blasphemy today. I bought a can of menudo. A can! May the Mexican mothers of the world forgive me.
*

Did C. Dale really encourage me to knock his pants off?
*

Five random facts about me:

1. I once kissed a tobacco shop Indian.
2. I hate runny spaghetti sauce.
3. I cheated once in high school.
4. I, like Shanna, have a heart murmur.
5. I like men with hairy chests.
*

Some bloggers explained how journal publication for them is an extension or byproduct of community. I don't feel any urgency to partake in community by seeking/gaining publication in journals. Crazy, no? And you know why I don't feel this urgency? Blogs! Blogging makes me feel like a member of a community. My blog is a small and silly contribution to a community I care deeply about.
*

from Five Miracles by Thylias Moss:

What's a nice colored girl like you
doing in New England?
Thinking about changing my reputation.
*

6 comments:

Collin said...

I'm also not big on submitting. I may send out four or five submissions a year...if that. Lately, I've had mags and journals request work, which is always lovely. However, that doesn't mean they publish it. I had one journal ask to see work about a month ago and got a rejection yesterday saying "one of your poems was hotly debated, and two of the editors loved it, but it has to be unanimous among the three." Whatever.

It seems like all the work I submitted over the last year is all coming out in one big glut, which is cool and weird at the same time.

One thing I'm very interested in is supporting new online journals. In 2005, I decided to submit mostly to print and had good success there, but for 2006, any submissions will go for online.

One that has caught my eye is Boxcar Poetry Review (www.boxcarpoetry.com), which will publish its first issue in March.

C. Dale said...

Yes, knock my socks, pants, shirt, and boxers off. But you can only try to do so with a poem! I mean, I am not a slut. Ahem, I have morals and principles you know.

Steven D. Schroeder said...

More people should like men with hairy chests.

Tony said...

Hey, I have a hairy chest, and a certain physician/editor STILL rejected me!

But he made it up for it with a ribeye and a tasty Zinfandel.

Ginger Heatter said...

Hairy chests...YES!

jenni said...

I don't send out work often. Maybe once a year when i get a wild hair i'll send 5 poems to my fav journal at that time, or a few journals online. or if someone asks me for work (which is rare), i'll send them stuff. it's just not my thing right now. im with you. blogging is my community.