If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Monday, November 07, 2005

Am I The New Paul Guest?

Poetry Northwest has taken one of my poems. I'm thrilled! As an undergraduate at Arizona State I spent hours in the library reading back issues of poetry journals. My two favorites were Poetry Northwest and Crazyhorse. It was 1997. I hadn't taken a workshop or worked with the poets in the English Department. I didn't have any poet friends. Journals were my teachers and my poet friends. And journals led me to new poets. After reading their work in Poetry Northwest I tracked down books by Mark Strand, Michael Harper, and Beckian Fritz Goldberg--some of my first poetry loves.

Poetry Northwest was the second journal I submitted work to. Spinning Jenny was the first. This was back in 1998. When I read the rejection slip tucked in my Poetry Northwest SASE I almost broke down in tears. Gawd, what a sissy! I so wanted to be in the pages of that slender journal. I promised myself to send again soon. But I stopped submitting to journals soon thereafter, and I just concentrated on my writing. When I felt my poems were ready for publication, I made a list of the top five journals I wanted to be published in. Poetry Northwest was at the top. But by this time, around 2001, I heard that the journal was no longer going to be produced.

Fast forward four years: I read that Poetry Northwest is again up and running. I submit. I submit only one poem. Yes, I know that might come off as arrogant to some editors. But I did send what I consider to be the best poem in my collection.

The poem is accepted. Wish fulfilled.

11 comments:

C. Dale said...

Congratulations! It is funny how those journals we first find always have a special place in us. I used to send to PN over and over for years, and then it folded. Now that it is back, I have nothing to send. Alas. Anyway, congrats!

Anne said...

That's a wonderful story and definitely a happy ending. Congratulations!

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Congratulations, Eduardo!

jenni said...

yay! you're on a role, dude. don't stop til you got laureate! (joke--unless laureate is something you're into of course)

early hours of sky said...

Oh huge congratulations, we may be in the same issue together. I don’t think sending one poem is arrogant at all. I think it shows Moxie, not the same thing. I have only one poet goal this year and it is to get into my dream journal. Oh how I want that.

steve mueske said...

Mega-congrats, Eduardo. Poetry Northwest was one of the best lit journals on the planet. Hopefully, the resurrected version will be just as good. They've certainly picked the right poet to continue that tradition of excellence!

A. J. Patrick Liszkiewicz said...

Huzzah!

Noel said...

Congrats!

...Thanks by the way for the comment on my blogsite. I didn't know poets would/could find out about me adding their sites unsolicited to my link list. I'm rather new to blogger, as you can see on my archives, but thanks for stopping by.

Congratulations again!

Paul said...

Awesome. Just awesome.

Sisyphus Walking said...

Rock-n-roll Eduardo!

Peter said...

Yeah! Eduardo. I am glad this magazine has been resurrected. And that they are publishing you.