If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Monday, September 26, 2005

Sufjan Stevens


I picked up Sufjan Steven's Illinois in Chicago this weekend. I'm in love. Yes, he's easy on the eyes. But I'm talking about the music. It's gorgeous. It's haunting. I haven't had this type of reaction to a musician since discovering Rufus Wainwright years ago. In fact, Rufus and Sufjan are very similar: lush orchestrations, intelligent lyrics. If Rufus was straight, and played the banjo instead of the piano, his work would probably sound like Sufjan's.

Gosh. This man is good. I can't stop listening to the CD. It works for me from start to finish.

Any Sufjan fans out there? Are his other CDs as good as Illinois? Tell me!

5 comments:

the machinist said...

This is freaked out. 'Come On Feel the Illinoise' just came on my itunes. I love this album--just recommened it on my blog over the weekend, I think. I'm glad you like it, too! Michigan is pretty good, as well, but Illinois is such a complete album, it's hard to compete with.

Matthew Thorburn said...

I've been wanting to pick this up since hearing the track "Casimir Pulaski Day."

Sara said...

I like the Michigan CD and what I've heard from Seven Swans. I recently saw him on the Illinois tour, out here in NY. It was truly beautiful. A side story: at the show, I got really bad menstrual cramps and passed out while they were playing "Jacksonville". My friend dragged me to the back and a security guy helped me out the door. I got a free bottle of water and wasn't allowed back in until I ate something. "Go get yourself a cake," the security guy said. My friend and I finally made it back in for three more utterly beautiful songs. See him play live, Eduardo. What an attractive spirit he's got, underneath the pretty exterior.

Bryan said...

Some songs on Michigan sound like tryouts of ideas that get completed to great effect on Illinois.

Saw Sufjan in Detroit on 9/11/05 and I have to say that it felt more like a musical (Jesus Christ Superstar?) than a rock-and-roll show. Sufjan is an amazing instrumentalist, but he seemed a bit uncomfortable up on stage. Maybe it was that he is completely free of pretense -- doesn't play the rockstar part. My mixed feelings about the show don't take away from my affection for this album though.

pete. said...

I finally bought this yesterday. It's so good! Thanks for the recommendation...