If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My Favorite Poem

Jeff B. is asking bloggers to post their own favorite work. This poem is my favorite.

The poem came to me one afternoon as I took a walk through Iowa City. I suddenly heard myself softly pronouncing the first few lines. I was startled. I rushed home, and wrote the poem in less than twenty minutes. I showed it to Mark Levine a week later. He commented that it was very different from anything else that I'd shown him. He suggested two small revisions. I agreed with him, and I haven't tinkered with this poem since.

I love the way this poem unfurls. It's seamless. I love the tension between the beauty of the images and the terror the title conjures forth. And that ending! The ending is gorgeous--if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

Emily Lloyd said...

I went to read this and the second I was done, I thought loudly, SWISH! Which I haven't said in years but is the sound of a basketball going through the hoop without any awkward touching of the net...also, thanks for the info on Cyndi's new album; I can't wait, either. I embrace my deadbeat brother-in-law solely because he was one of the choirboys singing "True Colors" in the background of that Kodak commercial years back...

pete. said...

Good one!