If interested in having me for a reading, class visit, or conference/festival, please contact me at lorcaloca AT aol DOT com

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize Deadline: January 6, 2006

Attention Latino/a poets!

The deadline for the Andrés Montoya Poetry Prize is coming up fast: January 6, 2006. The winner will receive $1000 and publication by the University of Notre Dame Press under a standard contract, as well as an invitation from the Creative Writing Program of the University of Notre Dame to read from his/her work, along with the judge, upon publication of the book, with all expenses paid.

This year's judge is Valerie Martínez.

You can find the guidelines here.

Let's get the word out about this prize! Email this information to your poet friends and to your teachers. And yes, I'm talking to all of my gringo readers as well. You hear me? Forward this information to the Latino/a poets/teachers you know.

This award--the only one geared toward finding and publishing first books by Latino/a poets--is given out every two years. The 2004 winner was Sheryl Luna. And you know what? Her book, Pity the Drowned Horses, kicks ass. Here's a good review.

Submit!

1 comment:

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Why advertise? Why not just apply -- and win!

Great book, Sheryl Luna. I owe her an email, in case she's virtually listening. (You can show up on my doorstep anytime. See an address to reach me under my "Blog You" or something post back in April. May?) Send poems. You, too. Dying to read new ms which I hope is called Asleep Inside a Old Guitar.